web analytics

Making Sabot Bases

build

The main bit of my sabots are 80mm x 80mm laser cut bases from Warbases.co.uk .  The slots into which I  put the troops are built up from 3/32” balsa wood.

filler

I use Polyfilla to build up the sabots.

painted

then paint them using Dulux Tawny Crest 1 emulsion paint.  This is much cheaper than any sort of acrylic paint and is available in sample pots from B&Q. (edited 28th April 2015 – B&Q have changed their paint supplier and no longer sell Dulux paint.   It is still available at Homebase)

texture1

to texture the sabots I use Buff ballast from Woodland Scenics.  First of all I glue on some fine grade ballast using PVA glue

texture2

Then I add rocky patches using a mix of medium and coarse grades

texpaint

I paint the whole thing with a mixture of 1 part water, 1 part emulsion paint (as above) and 1 part PVA glue, then leave it all to dry out overnight.

drybrush

The sabots are drybrushed with Citadel Bleached Bone, then White.

grassed

and I add summer mix static grass ( from Javis)  and a few Silfor Tufts.

troops

The finished sabots with troops in place.

FacebooktwitterpinterestmailFacebooktwitterpinterestmail

You may also like...

1 Response

  1. El Grego says:

    An interesting take on sabot basing – I had not thought of using such a wide border around the minis. It would be useful for those minis with leveled spears…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.